Friday, August 01, 2008

Linux Mint one year later

About a year ago I did a cage match between Linux Mint and PCLOS.
A year later I am about to clean off the Linux hard drive and what am I going to install?

PCLOS or Linux Mint.
During the year I updated workshop computer with PCLOS08 and have to say it looks nice but I find it quite often does not have the applications I can find in Mint. I recently installed Lazarus a sort of Delphi clone programming IDE. I was able to find the basic instructions for Mint (I had to install all sorts of libraries and dependencies). But did not come even close in PCLOS. I gave up because it was too much effort.
PCLOS08 changed to gnome and whilst the industrial look is good, I can't help but say I like Mint more.

My wife has even commented that she likes Mint more.
So a year later it looks like Mint has won the desktop wars. I am going to try some others while I have a clean hard drive
I think I will try PCLos on the EEEPC though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool. But PCLOS has not changed to Gnome, it's still primarily KDE-based. There is a Gnome Remaster used by some (I'm one of them), and it's great, but PCLOS has not changed to Gnome. Stating otherwise is technically incorrect. Just wanted to clear that up.

That said, Linux Mint is looking nicer all the time, but I'm not pleased that there is no clear upgrade path with it, and reinstalls are necessary if you wish to install the newest version. Other than that, it's quite a nice bit of kit.